Sunday, May 24, 2009

Out There...


You know, sometimes I think of this site as like the SETI program. You know, the one where scientists scan the skies for signs of life out there in space.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no other site on the web for guys into leather flight jackets (please let me know if you know of any, though!). So I created this a few years ago, and since then I've been contacted by guys from various corners of the globe who share the same interest.

It's interesting. I still don't think it's a very common fetish - but for those who are into it, it's a strong feeling. Another thing I've noticed is that most guys claim they had an interest in leather flight jackets since they were very young. Maybe that's the way it it with most fetishes, though?

For me, I think it was a combination of seeing them on older guys as a boy, and the media - specifically movies I remember seeing like Top Gun, or WWII movies full of handsome lads in A-2 or G-1 jackets.

Just my thoughts for the day. If you're out these, feel free to leave a comment or drop me a line. It's always cool to know there are others out there... A faceless/anonymous pic modeling your jackets would be cool, too!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are certainly sites for guys into flight jackets but they tend, as a rule, to focus on the joy of collecting rather than how sexy said jackets are or aren't. If there's a sexual element to the near-obsessional picking-over of period detail on sites like The Fedora Lounge, say, it all goes unspoken.

For me, flight jackets aren't really a primary attraction but I love leather generally, so I'll always notice a guy in a nice A2, say, over the same guy in everyday civvies. And I have an Irvin sheepskin jacket myself, which I really enjoy wearing (when it's cold enough).

Anonymous said...

You are not alone!

Flight Jacket Dude said...

Straitjacketed - (I really like your blog, by the way). It's interesting some of the sites you mention, which I have followed for years. I guess with every fetish comes an attention to detail, and I've come to appreciate the actual jackets themselves, in their own right. Of course, as with any collector's item, there will usually be the obsessional picking over you mention, and that's certainly the case on those sites!

And in your honor, soon I'll do a post about Irving jackets... their B-3s are quite handsome!

Anonymous said...

Did you see this blog entry of mine? The bit of research in question surprised me somewhat: apparently the most fetishised kind of jacket is the snorkel parka. Go, as they say, figure.

My own theory is that, while leather jackets (flight, motorcycle, etc.) tended to be the province of older kids and young adults, almost any kid of school age, growing up in the 1970s/'80s, would have seen a snorkel parka and might well have owned one. They'd have had opportunity to fetishise the feeling of enclosure and sensory isolation of the tunnel-like hood.

So I guess you're right when you say it seems a bit of a minority within a minority, fetish-wise.